Online Adventures over Blighty - Mission 5

Started by Badgerton Smedly, November 04, 2012, 07:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badgerton Smedly

Tally Ho Gentlemen!

I was going to have a rest from operations this weekend, but as I was loafing around in the mess late this afternoon, I noticed Matron by the door, linament lotion in hand and eyeing in my direction with mischieve on her face!!

"Isn't the boche rather quiet today?" I said in a loud almost robotic fashion - then not 3 seconds later but the scramble bell sounded, so off I ran!!  'Phew' I thought as ran towards my Spitfire, not really knowing where I was off to....

This afternoon I was on the ATAG server in a Spitfire IIa operating from the Gravesend airfield and looking to toil with the boche!  I only had one flight which I will cover below. Also I had my new polaroid on me so will pop up some picks to.  Apologies for the quality, as I had to balance the camera whilst doing everything else too.

So - to the off!!  I heard on TS that some dastardly Stukas were off over head towards London, but I was still on the deck and they were about angels 10, so I abandoned that idea.  Contacts called out by GC over Eastchurch airfield, so off I went, radiator open, sights set into the blue and on a ENE course.

It wasn't long before the flak was visible and after to high and low spying, I saw a fiendish 109 chasing a Spitfire.  I checked my own tail and set forth to challenge this chap and give him what for!!

I hit him on the starboard wing which shook him off his target, so then I tried to get him directly from behind!  Watch that engine temperature!!

Hits on his radiator and the glycol came streaming out!!  But he was having none of it!!  He'd tasted blood so I had to go for the patented 'Badgerton sling-shot manoeuver'!!  

This was fatal to the poor old chap and he started in a right-hand downward spiral till some other chap poked in with a few good shots and the 109 pulled too hard and slapped into the deck.

Pleased with my results and also conscious that I had only 6 second of ammunition left I continued for another 5 minutes before I spotted what I thought was a lone Ju88 low and slow.  This is my chance I thought!  At low RPM's I got into a good rear position and loosed off a few rounds.  Oh no that could be a Blenheim!! Time to make a quick exit!

After 10 minutes I heard an SOS from an American Chappie complaining that there's a yellow nosed blighter other the airfield.  Not wanting to appear rude, I sauntered over and there he was being chased!!  The beastly fiendish 109 was blind to everything but his quarry, so on his tail I jumped to give him a squirt of lead!!  He's trying to dogfight me!!  Have at you!!

He drops his speed and so do I, besides I need to as my Merlin is cooking a big one!  I let him have one fatal burst before high-tailing it out and heading back to Gravesend.

I see him feathering his prop and putting down in a field close to the estuary.  Huzzar!  A good sortie: I claim 2 downed 109's (1 shared) and a Blenheim fuel pump to go on the wall (yes it was a friendly...).  Sortie 5 and still alive.

Totals to be added to a separate thread.  Typos to be corrected in due course.

Badger

Badgerton Smedly

In the excitement of my debreif I did forget some other details: Despite being heavily damaged the Yellow nosed 109, did try and turn-fight me, having 3 passes one of which was very close.  He got a ~2 second burst of MG and cannon fire at me that much have gone just below my machine.  Close stuff. I suppose that he being quite heavily damaged thought 'what the heck' and just went for it. A courageous fellow.

On landing back at Gravesend I saw a bf110 heading at no more than 200ft, belting it towards London following the south bank of the Thames.  The flak started off and I thought he was going to have a poke at me while I was swtiching off, but he carried on with a trail of flak bursts following him.  I wonder how he got on?....