Am I doomed never to play this bloody game again???

Started by =CfC=Woof, September 05, 2013, 08:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Woof

Finally, after more technical adventures than ever dreamed of in the Decameron, I'v gotten my rig to free standing statue stage.

I changed the psu, (to 850w) the memory, reset the battery (twice ) swapped vid cards (countless times), changed cables, gotten it to where it would run on one monitor and even once on two, and now it merely lies there, smirking, whilst posting (one beep) but giving forth nary a picture.  My main monitor (the factory says it is running correctly) also keeps telling me it has no digital signal despite new dvi cables this morning.  Oh, the humidity. 

Does this signal the end of the motherboard or the cpu and can I live long enough to discover which is the culprit?

I'v got deja vue all over me...

John Cartwright

"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC=Fitz

Hi Woof,

Try running it with just one monitor and see if it will POST at all. If it does, do you get any error messages? Also if it POST's, can you get into the Bios? If it does either of these, it's possible that you have a HDD failure. If it doesn't even POST, it does seem possible it's either CPU or Mobo. Out of the two, I would suspect Mobo as it would normally POST long enough for there to be an error.

Badgerton Smedly

As mentioned Woof a beep is a hardware alert. I've had it before when all the relevant PSU cables aren't plugged in where the should be. Also make sure that the correct cables are attached as per the mobo instructions.

=CfC=Woof

Thanks for the answers, chaps. 

I have had it working with two monitors a couple of times using the GFX 580 but the color was dreadful, no reds, on the #1 monitor.  Moniitor is OK.

I have had it working with one monitor on the GTX 275.  Attach the other monitor and it will not boot at all.

According to the ASUS manual one beep means VGA detected.

So even if I get the POST, ie one beep, I still get no picture.  All lights inside ok.

All cables reseated.  Old drivers cleaned out before card installations. (Only message I got was driver conflicts.)

How can I tell if it's a hard drive problem?   No clickety clacks.

New ram, seated ok.

bios returned to default with battery removal.

I'm drivelling on here, I fear.

Will solve with fire axe in the morning.

John Cartwright

A swallow pride and ask neighbours' geeky kids if they could help out a silver surfer moment perhaps?
Have just shown this to No.1 son (builds his own rigs) who reckons that it could be one or a combination of many things that a professional diagnosis is probably in order to save your sanity and stop you going round in circles, and will probably save money in the long run.
Hope you resolve soon. You are missed in the virtual skies old stick.
Has Marje recovered by the way?
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

=CfC=Fitz

Just to check Woof, but did you put both power cables back in the graphics card?

=CfC=Woof

Yes Sir, Fitz.  All 37 times.  And thanks for checking.

Badgerton Smedly

Woof

This is a difficult one. The screen issue points towards either the cards or the mobo hardware. If you've got issues with both cards alternately then the cards should be off the radar of this immediate problem, so let's look at the mobo.

You could load up the mobo drivers and ensure your bios is the most relevant for your config (OS). Use your older card for testing as it should use less power. Let's not introduce more failure opportunities.

After reading your post below depending on how old your board is you'll need a fit for purpose bios file. Also, windows will use it's own native drivers, but reloading those designed for your mobo won't hurt.

I'll keep thinking.

Badger

=CfC=Woof

Thanks once again for the help, guys.  I'm having to put the rotting carcass aside for the moment, as we're bravely climbing aboard iberia in a couple of days en route to Marseilles and thence to the boiling briny.  I'll post a pic or two as we progress.

Marj is doing well, BD, thanks for asking.  Her cast comes off Monday (one less weapon for me to dodge) and the spine thingy has healed beautifully.

On the flip side...

Woof