Windows 7 a disaster!

Started by =CfC=Bounder, January 17, 2014, 09:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Ax

Bounder, I take it you will not be upgrading to Windows 9 next year? :-)

=CfC=Bounder

I finally got my second disk back yesterday with all my data and XP removed which seemed the only way that my UEFI drive system wanted after the BIOS update of Dec. 2013.

I really am not sure what exactly happened but the sequence of events went like this:-

- Finished the build and installed Windows 7 and all updated drivers with only a new unformatted HDD
- All worked fine and so connected old Windows XP disk which showed up as conventional second disk with no issues.
- Used Windows Easy Transfer to get some of my application data and favourites into Windows 7
- Ran in to USB problems with both Saitek, Natural Point and Logitech camera.
- Found "Updated USB connectivity" in the latest BIOS update from MSI
- Flashed the BIOS using a USB stick
- Straight away found that the boot ladder had changed and it was booting from Windows XP with BOD and no repair available using my old XP disk.
- Disconnected HDD with XP on it and managed to get Windows 7 working again.
- Called out my computer man who tried DOS entries and all posted fixes for getting the boot manager to boot 7 with both HDD's connected........failed.
- My chap took away the XP disk and saved all the files to another HDD....re formatted my old HDD and replaced the files.
- Connected old HDD and all is well.....except that my accounting files which were on the "C" drive and not in programs had all gone!
- All my downloaded music has lost DRM rights
Yesterday......another long day....
- Saitek drivers would still not install. Found a thread on the net blaming Saitek (now MadCatz) drivers for not keeping up with Intel USB3 latest 64bit drivers.
- Removed Intel USB 3 drivers........Bingo! All Saitek functions back and software installed.....but no key board entry available!
- uninstalled Microsoft Media Keyboard software and drivers to get back to basic keyboard driver.......all now working but I have lost all advanced keyboard functions due to Saitek incompatibility with their drivers!

Chaps....I'm exhausted! I have never been through the rinse cycle like this before.

I can only guess that reading about all these problems online it appears that UEFI BIOS is targeted at Windows 8 and is only partially effective without the security benefits  when using Windows 7 and probably of no value at all to XP as the board has to support Legacy BIOS. The latest update from MSI has probably  moved even further away from XP compatibility. (UEFI is a Microsoft invention I believe)

As for Saitek and other manufacturers, it must be difficult to keep up with progress especially with old units like X52 Pro. I will be interested to see their response to my mail about compatibility with Intel USB 3 drivers.

I have just got my new TR/IR camera to arrive now and I maybe back in business. With luck I will have a faster system....an operating system that I don't like......accounts which have disappeared into cyberspace......music which does not play....a keyboard that types and does nothing else...and all for £550! Has to be a bargain!

Window 9.....you have to be joking....not in my lifetime as this has cost me ten years of ageing!

Bounder ::) ::)