MDS df prangs using 4.12

Started by CFC_Conky, April 23, 2014, 07:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

While the vanilla game lacks the ability to RRR during our prangs and lacks some good kites, it does have a much tougher ai, some visual improvements and better waypoint options. And of course fewer bugs.

Is there any interest in trying out a mission built in 4.12? I'm not planning to do this right away mind you, I've never worked with the new waypoint stuff so I'll have to experiment a bit. I've been playing vanilla offline lately and missions are much harder than in earlier versions. For instance I'm currently flying a JG54 campaign and even in a 109F4 I take a beating from I-16's unless I fight strictly using vertical maneuvers only and even then, a Rata with high lots of energy will give me a very hard time. Mig-3's, which are usually quite easy to defeat are now very challenging since they use their speed much more effectively, same thing with the LaGG-3. It's much closer to fighting good human opponents now.

Then there are Mak's campaigns... ;)

Anyway, just putting the idea out there.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

Agree about the AI Conkers....they are much tougher opponents.

Why not.....give it a go.

It is such a shame they have not included some of the many excellent new maps into vanilla. There are several comments about this on 1C so maybe we will get them one day.

Everyone needs to get up to 4.12.2? Is that the current one?

Bounder :o

CFC_Conky

4.12.2 is the latest vanilla version of the game, I won't force anyone to patch up however.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Mak

Hi Conky.
It would certainly make the missions more dificult and interesting that AI's a killer, I struggle to get a 50/50 kill ratio with the AI on Novice!!. Is there any reason we can't go the whole hog and play 4.12.2 with HSFX? The sounds alone would make it worthwhile, and then there's all those maps and A/C.
Either way I'm willing to give it a try one evening and any mission built on stock 4.10 will work right?
Mak

=CfC=Father Ted

Mak, I think what happened is that Fitz had issues with one of the updates (4.11 I think), so in the interests of flying rather than dicking around debugging we decided to just stick with 4.10 + UP3.  Back in the dim distant past when I started here we flew Tuesday vanilla and Thursday modded I think, so there's no doctrine about only flying UP3.  Our current set-up is just about getting as many of us online at the same time as we can and everyone can run UP3.

If we're all happy to fly 4.12.2 + HSFX 7 then we should go for it, say I.  The problem is that all our DF maps are "in " UP3 (yes?), but new-build missions should present no problems

=CfC=Bounder

I would agree about HSFX. Much more variety in maps and a/c.

They now have an "Updater" which installs in the prog. and should keep you updated easily once you have 4.12.2 installed and HSFX 7 installed. It will update to the latest HSFX 7.2 (or is it 7.02?)

As far as DF missions. I can get some regular ones up and running but the "objects" in HSFX and 4.12.2 are different and this may well slow conversion down. I already have some 4.11 DF missions and they could be adapted for either 4.12.2 and/or HSFX 7.2 quite quickly.

We need everyone to chip in with a view on this and inform of what versions you all have up and running.

So......what's in your hangar......sorry.....getting carried away.....what installs does everyone have?

Bounder :-\

CFC_Conky

Hi Bounder,

I have every version save Modact 5.3, which I will be installing soon. As I mentioned before, there is absolutely no pressure when it comes to using a different version of the game. If we do eventually try out HSFX 7.02, it's probably best to just build the prang from scratch.

Pip, pip,
Conky

Mak

I agree with you Conky, absolutly no pressure to change version's, but if we want to try it out and everyone is able, I have adapted the third mission in my Rasputitsa series to run on HSFX. Its in the drop box.

There are pro's and con's of course. HSFX has a much more able [lethal] AI and some of the other upgrades like waypoint patrols may be usefull in missions. On the other hand I would miss the RRR and the ability to assign Front Markers to moving land units so that the front lines can be made to move and objectives captured.

Mak