Elite Dangerous

Started by Mak, June 01, 2014, 06:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mak

What Ho Chaps

I purchased Elite yesterday but after hitting play it gives a blank black screen and goes 'Not Responding'
If any of you have it installed, any idea's?

Thanks all

Mak

Mak

Hi all

Finally got ED to work though it meant putting in a spare HD, formatting it, installing Win 7, chipset and Gpu drivers, Google Chrome and turning off the firewall. Oh and don't forget you must not install it to the default folders or it will certainly go wrong, It has to go on the desktop.
By the time I had done all that I played for a couple of hours then DFM got released!!!
First impressions, Graphics cant hold a candle to SC but I'm sure I'll play it between SC modules.

Mak 

=CfC= Ax

ED - Installed under the default directory and had.. zero problems. Everything works perfectly and is butter smooth.

SC - Due to the control limitations on offer, ended playing it like a flash game - chasing the Vanduul around the screen with the mouse cursor. Damn, this is so arcade that I ended up looking for the slot to insert my next coin. ;D

Hopefully things will improve - Better flight model without the twitchiness, greater control options, TrackIR, declutter that crowded HUD and tone down those flashy 'lockon' animations. Spent too much for this to be a AAA arcade shooter. It's very early doors on this one, and to be frank, Ol' Chrissy boy and his merry men WILL come good, they can't afford not to.

ED - Loving the flight model, it's very more akin to being in a WWII AC than the HAWX models of SC. Decouple mode, hard to master but certainly has it's advantages. Hyperspace jumping is something to behold, giggled like a schoolgirl on my first jump, bloody amazing experience and hard to describe, you have to be there. Sound effects are spot on IMO, just hope SC takes note. Supercruise animations on the other hand are currently WIP with a place holder in situ. Docking is far easier than the original but very immersive. Lag, lag, lag - especially when inside the dock and other players are present, WIP and well documented.

Approach the rings around a planet and bam! The closer you get the more you realise that these rings are in fact made up of millions of individual rocks, each and everyone detailed, eck you can shut down your engines, go cold and just sit there next a ruddy great rock,listening out for your next potential victim.

ED and SC are like chalk and cheese, space sims that have been approached from very different angles. Diversity and variety is a good thing in my eyes.

=CfC= Ax

=CfC=Father Ted

Wasn't really on my radar before, but I'm starting to fancy it.  At £50 the early access is too steep for a whim, but a pre-order is becoming more likely.  I didn't have the original, but I had the sequel.  My main memories of it are spending hours in DOS reconfiguring my PC's memory to get the prog to run, and the orchestral sound-track.

=CfC=Father Ted

Awww, what the heck, just bought myself an early Christmas present...

=CfC=Father Ted

Any Elitists out there tried the Arena mode?  Apparently it's just come online...