Lets do something off the beaten track

Started by =CfC=Fitz, June 27, 2014, 12:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Fitz

For the mission builders:

Is there any chance we can do a short series of missions trying out some of the stranger aircraft that IL2 has to offer, perhaps under the guise of evaluating the aircraft.

We home some pretty interesting stuff that I don't think I've ever flown, such as:

BI-1/6
I-250
LaGG 3RD
La7R
MiG9 I300
MiG9 FS
Yak 3R
Yak 15

And this is without even thinking of the wierd Axis aircraft.

What do you think chaps?

CFC_Conky

Hi Fitz,

The Doppelgängers campaign was eventually going to get around to them but I can certainly look at doing something in the short term. I want to go after some Lerches  ;D.

We have to be a bit careful with the jets since the combat tends to get really stretched out but I'm sure we can make a workable prang.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

CFC_Conky

Should also be pretty easy to convert on of our df maps, the one set on the Norway map comes to mind.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC= Binks

Happy to have a go at one Fitz.  ;D Might be a while though. I'll post which aircraft I've chosen, so we don't get a repeat set.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

I've modified one of Bounder's DF maps so we can practice with the weirder stuff in the game. Mostly late-war and what-if kites just short of the Sabre/ThunderJet/Mig15 series. I added the Panther to the Red side to give it an additional U.S. jet and I've tried to balance out the prop-driven stuff with some Japanese kites. Please provide feedback on balance, playability, etc.  

It's in Dropbox: Conky's Missions/DF Maps/DF_Jets_Online3S.

Pip, pip,
Conky

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

Early impressions using the QMB is that the prop-driven stuff is offers better match-ups than the jets. The main Blue jet is the Me-262 series and the Reds have faster stuff. On the other hand, the FW190-D13 vs the La-7R is a lot of fun.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC= Binks

I've had a play around too, and managed to get the 262's to take off from a carrier, the Mig 9 is a good match for it, but the Yak 15 is suicidally slow in comparison. Perhaps the Bf 109 Z might be fun against the Yak. I agree with Conky that the earlier jets, and the late higher powered prop aircraft make a good mix.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

John Cartwright

We had a bash last night. I amassed a massive score by dropping a nuke :)
Ted mastered the Lerche, and the rest of us tried various kites for size, often with fatal results.
"Take that; you rotten Swastinkers you!"
:British Pathe News 1940

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

I know I'm supposed to be on vacation from mission building but I will probably have something ready for Thursday.

I order to help with the suspension of disbelief, the prang will be based on the following premise:

During the victory parade in Berlin following the fall of France, a Czech dissident rushes for the crowd and attacks Hitler's motorcade (security was pretty lax in those days). He is quickly brought down but not before killing Goering and seriously injuring Hitler. With Hitler out of the picture, albeit temporarily, cooler heads prevail in the war department; the French campaign has proved very costly, so any thoughts of immediately invading Britain are out of the question. Instead, the Germans will concentrate on getting their forces ready for the invasion of Russia. England will be kept out of the way using U-boats and air strikes against industrial targets.

Germany attacks Russia and by the fall of 1943 controls all the territory west of the Volga, including the Caucasus oil fields. Leningrad falls. Moscow holds out but is contained by the Wehrmacht.

On Dec 10th 1941, the Japanese attack Pearl Harbour, catching the American carriers at anchor. American military operations in the Pacific are set back by over a year, giving Japan time to complete the construction of air bases throughout the South Pacific.

The U.S. adopts a 'Japan First' policy and takes a neutral-ish stand when it comes to the war in Europe. They finally get off the fence in mid-1944, declaring war on Germany and lending their full support to England.

Soooooo, it's now the spring of 1945, the Luftwaffe has begun another 'Tip and Run' campaign, and with their latest propeller driven aircraft are able to gain local air superiority over Southern England. The Allies are also fielding the latest versions of the venerable Spitfire and new Mustangs. Russia has supplied plans of their experiments with hybrid jet/propeller-driven aircraft and they are beginning to make their way to the British and American squadrons.

We haven't seen too many German jets over Blightey, most of them being kept in Germany to defend against our bombers. At least for now.

Pip, pip,
Conky

=CfC=Father Ted

"Mastered" is enormously over-stating the case, but I did Lerche about the sky to some effect.  We found that with only 6 of us on the Norway map scraps were rather few as everything moves that bit quicker into and out of sight.  On the other hand flight-times to the fray were reduced.  All in all an interesting departure from the norm.

CFC_Conky

Ok Chaps, alternate history prang is in Dropbox. Conky's Missions/Campaigns/Alternate History/Channel '45_1

Detailed briefing not required, just spawn/RRR from Lympne, Hawkinge or Margate (Ramsgate?), and patrol the coast between Dover and Folkestone. Don't wander too far across the Channel chasing after a bandit or the bogeyman will get you!  ;D

You will have the choice of the F/P-51D-30, Tempest 13lb, Spit MkXiV and MkXVI and of course the hybrid jet/prop kites form Russia. I put in one jet, the Lagg-3RD.

The Blues will come at you with DO-335's, 109K14's, 190D-15's and just for shits and giggles, some 109Z's

Quick and dirty prang gents, no Fifi's strip.

I'll try to be there tomorrow, by 1900Z

Pip, pip,
Conky

CFC_Conky

Hi Chaps,

Since these prangs don't take too long to build, I've done up a second one for Blue, called Market Garden_Blue. Flying for the LW, you will attempt to destroy the bridges in and around Nijmegen, as well as enemy vehicles concentrated there. While there are no Fifi's strips on the maps, there are buses at the home bases.

Pip, pip,
Conky