Finally took the plunge.

Started by CFC_Conky, December 27, 2014, 07:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFC_Conky

Hello Chaps,

CoD was only $6 CAD on Steam so I decided to take the plunge. Now all I have to do is patch up, then spend hours configuring the controls, more hours learning to not wreck my engine, more hours, etc, etc, etc.  ;D

Shhhhhh, don't tell the Admiral!
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=BlueDog

Interested to hear how you find it compares with BOS.   I've just installed BOS and at first look-see am not all that impressed.  

But it's early days.   Hopefully when I start to explore further than the quick launch section I'll get more out of it.

And I will tell the Admiral ;D

=CfC=Father Ted

I think you'll enjoy it Conky.  The "fun" for me is the CEM.  For a desktop-pilot a few more gauges to watch and levers to move encourages the illusion that you're actually controlling something.  Whether a real pilot will see it the same way I don't know...

I may be shallow, but the art-work of BoS is what sets it above CloD.  One can argue endlessly and fruitlessly about the fidelity of the relative FMs and DMs, but if the gut feeling of the sim isn't there, I don't think it ever will be.  Entirely subjective, of course.

CFC_Conky

Well, I'm all patched up and busy blowing up the engines on the 109's!  :D

I'm still trying to come to grips with which kite has auto-what  ;D

Otherwise it's a nice looking sim.

Pip, pip,
Conky
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Father Ted

I'm keen to give this another go.  There are hurdles to overcome, such as the spawning system in MP, but once aloft it does feel more meaty as a sim than IL2 46.

=CfC=Bounder

Keep us posted.....I will not pursue BOS until they resolve the HOTAS issues but CLOD I know is compatible with Saitek so maybe I will take the plunge.

Bounder :-\

=CfC=Father Ted

Quote from: =CfC=Father Ted on November 24, 2015, 10:17:04 PM
I'm keen to give this another go.  There are hurdles to overcome, such as the spawning system in MP, but once aloft it does feel more meaty as a sim than IL2 46.

Well first up here's a guide to getting started: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5058&p=52711.  Scroll down til after the patching process and it describes how to overcome the first of my "hurdles".  These (http://www.theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/wiki/doku.php?id=flight_manuals) notes are good, and these (http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5192&p=53378&viewfull=1#post53378) are handy.  Most of the CEM that is a change-up from IL246 is really stuff I think we, as fans of the planes, know already.  The tricky part is assigning (and then remembering!) the keys/axes.  The take-off procedure in the Spit (in game) just involves one more keystroke (fuel on) than we're used to.  Allow the engine to warm up a bit (fun for a fews secs at idle), otherwise you'll get horrible noises as you throttle up to taxi, and don't firewall the throttle (keep rpm at 3000 max) when taking off - all else is pretty much what you're used to.

Oh, and I was wrong about the zoom Bounder.  It's there under camera controls and is now mapped successfully to my hatswitch

=CfC=Bounder

Thanks Ted.....it will be a while before I can spend the time to get to grips with it all. Installation seems biased towards "Steam" but I will probably buy the DVD (under £10 on Amazon). Hopefully it will be much the same.

Bounder