P-40E Squadron skin

Started by =CfC=Bounder, September 04, 2010, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

The P40E and M will feature against Balkenkreuz towards the end of the month and I thought it might be appropriate to have a really “swanky” skin to fight against the Italian a/c as they always look great but performance is perhaps inferior to their dress!

Fitz has been flying around in a really nice shiny P40 skin (desert camo….but shiny)…so I thought I would make a CfC version.
It is in the Dropbox under CfC-Desert skins.”P-40E_CfC_Blank”

“CH” markings and Squadron insignia are placed but you will need to add you’re a/c number after the letter “ET10..” e.g mine is ET1014, your single letter identifier and any logo and flashes you want.

I have used the RAF fonts (36) for the single letter and number (the ones I have placed in the Dropbox)

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Silverback

Kinda hoping for a shark mouth P-40. I have also put the CH on the Spitfire Vb and c and placed them in the drop box in the desert folder. But for some reason the c is not working. If you could have a look at it I would appreciate it.

=CfC=Bounder

If you have a look at Doc's Spitfire skins in the Dropbox you will see the problem with the double curvature of the skin causing the letters to warp.

Doc seems to have mastered the problem so with luck he will let us know how to do it. Apart from painting the letters by hand, I have no idea how he did it!

What you could do is copy the warped letters off Doc's skin, then use the Magic tool in Paint.Net to remove the border, create a layer and paste it on to the desert skin.

Bounder ::)

=CfC=Doc

I turned the text into a 'smart object' in Photoshop and spent a few minutes warping and bending until it looked right. If you want, I can whip up a squadron's worth of Mk. V's in less than an hour. The only question is if you want them with or without colour coded wingtips, noseart and/or flashy stripes.

=CfC= Silverback

Now there are three choices in the P-40 line up. Damn this is getting complicated. I think I like the Ronnco best, but it seems to me the letters are a little to low to big and to close to the roundel IMHO.
Spitfires, no strips please, one problem at a time.

=CfC=Doc

I'll whip something up then. Keep in mind though: customising skins a bit more is no problem at all. Imade a very useful template for the previous batch, pretty much any element can be added or removed with a single mouseclick.
As for the P40: RAF markings on P40's are always tricky due to the shape of the airframe. One of the more elegant solutions I have seen is by applying them like this. Thoughts?

=CfC=Bounder

Quote from: Silverback on September 04, 2010, 10:29:42 PM
Now there are three choices in the P-40 line up. Damn this is getting complicated. I think I like the Ronnco best, but it seems to me the letters are a little to low to big and to close to the roundel IMHO.

The Ronnco skin is of 112 Sq. If you Google "Images" and then "P40 Kittyhawk" you will see the "GA" Squadron Mk from which this skin is made....as IRL.....however, if you want your skin to look different....feel free!

Incidently....the roundels at the bottom of Ronnco's skin are not correct...but....!

Bounder ::)

Great that you will help with the MkVb Doc....I hate the lettering job on Spitfires!

=CfC= Silverback

Don't get upset Bounder. I didn't say anything to criticize anyone, just personal preference. Post a blank in the box and I'll fix it. Correct roundels and all. I need to learn how to do this stuff anyway.

=CfC=Bounder

Sorry....there are no blanks!

Here is the link to the skins:-

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads2&file=details&id=4546

As I said...he made 112Sq skins and I used the letters he used by removing the bar form the "G" to make a "C" and then adding an "H" to replace the "A". Letter sizes...spacing...texture...was all kept as he made them....but I agree...112Sq had poor taste in their lettering!

He does not provide a blank in this pack...only a/c with identifiers...so you have a lot of work....Good luck!

Bounder ;D

=CfC= Silverback

I couldn't do anything with the Ronnco skin so I got a VP and fixed it up. It's in the drop box now. All it needs is your call sign and ID letter and your set. I hope you all like it.

=CfC= Silverback

Check the dropbox guys, new Spit skins are there for Thursdays mission.

=CfC=Bounder

Silverback......the Hawk skin looks the same as the default one in UP2.01. It has the red lady on the front etc.

Am I missing something?

Bounder

=CfC= Silverback

They are similar but not the same. The red lady is the logo for the third squadron (Hells Angels). Just put your name and number on it and your done (and paint your spinner). Or use the default, it's up to you.
Additional info
1st squad Adam and Eves (green apple logo and white band on fuselage)
2nd squad Panda Bears (Panda bear logo and blue band on fuselage)
3rd squad Hells Angels (red lady logo and red band on fuselage)

CFC_Conky

Thanks for the skins Silverback!
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

=CfC=Bounder

OK.....done....thanks Silverback.

Bounder ;D