Setting up a secondary screen

Started by =CfC= Binks, June 21, 2010, 11:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC= Binks

Do you chaps know if it would be possible for me to attach my laptop to the desktop, so that I could have a second screen running for x-fire? I have all the relevant connections, but would need a little advice on the software aspects, in words of one syllable!

Cheers.

HE Lord Binks.

Dust,heat and sweat. Like living in Matron's armpit.......

=CfC=Fitz

Hmm, theoretically it's possible. You can download a few programs that will act as a software KVM switch (a hardware KVM switch is a little box that makes your mouse and keyboard work on two seperate systems at the flick of a switch).

I don't think that you can plug it into your main machine and use it as a second monitor directly and, to be honest, I wouldn't recommend running a second monitor unless you have a good graphics card anyway.

There is another option. Instead of trying to faff around using it as a second monitor, you could just load X-Fire on it and use the laptop purely for X-Fire. It won't take up any system resources from your main pc like the first solution and will in fact reduce the strain on your main cpu as it won't have to run X-Fire.

The only issue I can see with the above is that it's possible that it could adversely affect your ping as your router will need to sort traffic between the two machines (though I think this would also be a problem with the first solution too as it's only simulating a second monitor rather than running a direct feed from your main machine).

In short, try running X-Fire on the laptop while you play the game and see how it goes!

Apologies for geek speak!!!

Fitz

=CfC= Binks

Interesting stuff Fitz. I'll try loading x-fire onto it, and using it as a coms machine, next time we are online, though that will mean I lose any engine sounds etc from the main machine, unless I run the speakers too, and risk the ire of Mrs Binks!

HE Lord Binks.

=CfC=Fitz

Ahh, yes good point, I'd forgotten about that bit!

To make that work, you may need something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Female-Stereo-splitter-cable/dp/B000Q6I1K4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277123461&sr=8-17

you could then plug both into one headset.

The other option would be something like running a cable from the laptop speaker output to the main machine line-in sound jack. I can see this getting complicated though!

It's a shame you're not in the UK as I think I have a spare TFT panel monitor floating about somewhere that you could just stick straight into your main machine.

I'll have a think and see if I can come up with a better solution.

pip pip,

Fitz

=CfC= Binks

I have an almost new Samsung 22" lcd screen gathering dust back in France, identical to the one I have over here. Very frustrating!

HE Lord Binks.