Differential braking in IL-2

Started by =CfC=Bounder, August 10, 2012, 01:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

=CfC=Bounder

Now that we have come across the effects of wind when manoeuvring a "tail dragger" on the ground in a strong breeze, I thought I would remind those of you with rudder pedals (Saitek or CH) that there is an extra setting to be made that allows the nearest thing to differential braking in IL-2.

Many WW2 aircraft and also later  aircraft (I flew Chipmunks at flying school which also had this system) had a system for braking controlled by one lever (Spitfire for instance).

You operated the single brake lever and then moved the rudder in the direction that you wanted to turn and the brake was applied in that direction.

The same can be achieved in IL-2. You probably have the keypad "B" selected for brakes. if you have rudder pedals (I don't know about CH) like my Saitek versions, the software will only program the RH brake pedal to work the brakes.

If you open your "Users" folder, then your current pilot's file (whatever you call yourself) you will see a file called "settings.ini". If you open this file in Notepad and look about halfway down, you will find your rudder pedal entry for brakes. it may be assigned as axis "1" or "2" depending on what you have assigned for your rudder pedals.

The entry looks like this:-
AXE_X JoystickDevice1=brakes

What you need to do is add another line for the LH brake like this:-

AXE_Y JoystickDevice1=brakes (adding the Y axis)

The number of the device must be the same as your existing entry.

Save this file now and then right click on the file and click on "Properties". Tick the box saying "Read only".
If you don't do this, every time you change a control setting in IL-2, you will lose the new brake line you have entered. If you want to change a control setting, you must remove the "Read only" setting, change the control and re-insert the new brake line.

When you taxi now, apply full rudder and appropriate brake (at low speed) and you will get the nearest thing to differential braking. If you don't have rudder pedals, just hit "B" and apply full rudder to turn tightly.

My left brake has been broken for a couple of years now but this system definitely works and if you don't have this facility it is worth adding it.

Bounder ;D

=CfC=Woof

Great, Bounder, thanks.  I'm a gonna try that.

I'v got deja vue all over me...